Unicorn Studios is seeking a creative and talented Senior Technical Artist to join our core team developing high quality AAA games. The ideal candidate should be a specialist on character or creature rigging and tools, and enjoy bringing life to our digital game/film characters by creating efficient technical rigging solutions.
- Create animator-friendly rigs for a wide variety of characters, weapons and props.
- Authoring skinning and deformation.
- Set-up character assets in the engine (meshes, animation blueprints, dynamics)
- Build tools for characters artists and animators to facilitate character creation.
- Guide the process of character creation from a technical perspective.
- Identify, prioritize, and complete tasks related to character technical art.
- Work with production to prioritize tasks and develop workflows.
- Use your extensive expertise as a tech artist to ensure the product is fun and meets the highest standards of quality, performance, and polish.
- Function as part of a fast-paced close-knit team: collaborate with artists and tech to achieve a unified vision for our project.
- Contribute to the growth of a startup studio.
- 4+ years of professional experience in creating production-ready rigs for 3D games or cinematic animation.
- Strong knowledge of character kinematics, deformations, and topology.
- High proficiency in character skinning, physics, and technical workflows.
- Proficiency in python for the purposes of creating character rigs in Maya.
- Tool development experience and pipeline design.
- Proficiency in technical problem solving.
- Self-starting, self-reliant personality and willing to pitch in on many areas of game development.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience in Unity development.
- Lead or team management experience in AAA game development or VFX/Film production.
- Experience programming in Python, C++, C#, MEL, or other programming languages.
- Art skills, such as animation or modeling.
- Familiarity with in-game simulation, such as for ragdoll, cloth, or hair.